Thursday, July 24, 2014

Free Calories Can Still Make You Fat!

Stop Eating When You Really Don't Want To

I know one of the biggest problems I have is eating food when I really don't want to. It may be because it's free or someone made it for me, so I feel obligated. I'm still really working on this but 
I am getting better at this. Here are a few ways to avoid rationalizing in those moments 
and adding extra calories and fat to your daily diet.

It's a special occasion.
Usually good times with family means lots of food. Usuallly the food is not healthy for us and we overindulge.  You dont have to deprive yourself but be reasonable and have a small portion. Depending on the occasion, you can plan something that takes the attention off of food. Bring a game or a movie or an idea that will get the whole family up and moving.

I deserve it!
Yep, dont we all. If we have had a bad day or a really good day, shouldn't we treat ourselves.   Food should NOT be the reward. Instead, try relaxing or treating yourself with other activities that are rewarding. For instance, give yourself time to take a long bath, a massage, take a walk or call an old friend to say hello. 

It's Free!
Free food at work, at the grocery store, samples at the mall..... Free calories still make you fat!  Before you pick it up, ask yourself, "Would I eat this if I had to pull money out of my wallet and pay for it?" Probably not.


I don't want to be rude.
Maybe someone baked you a pie or cake. Or maybe you are just at someones house and they have food  prepared. Dont feel obligated. Politely pass on certain foods if you know wont help you. If you feel like there is NO Way you can say "No" then, only put a very small portion on your plate.

I should clean my plate. There are children starving in other countries.
There are children and adults starving in some places, but in reality, you finishing your food doesn't help them. I do understand the thought behind it which is being appreciative of what you have by not wasting. Best thing to do here is to practice portion control BEFORE eating. So while fixing your plate, only put a reasonable serving on it. If you some left over, dont be afraid to pack a take home box.

Hope these couple tips help!
Stay on Track!

No comments:

Post a Comment