Thursday, August 7, 2014

What My First Half Marathon Taught Me


So now that my first Half Marathon is over, I want to share a little bit of what I learned.  There were so many different types of people. Different shapes and sizes, some well over 250 lbs, some with knee and hip injuries. Others were 50, 60, 70 years old. I saw best friends and couples walking and running.... 
All out there to hit those 13 miles.  

Seeing this inspired me and reminded me of something I already knew.  You cannot judge a book by its cover. Many of them could do a 12 minute mile with no problem. You cannot look at a person and assume they are happy and have support. Or look at someone who is  thin and assume they will finish the race faster than a person who is overweight. 2 years ago at my highest weight, I was still smaller then several people out there on Sunday. Yet, 2 years ago, I lacked the confidence and the stamina to do a half marathon.

Now, I average running/walking about 14 mins per mile. But, since this was my first experience, my goal was to simply finish the course without falling out.  I did have some problems. My foot started hurting at mile 3. Then, when they ran out of water along the course at mile 9/10, my mind started doubting that I could run any more without having water so I walked the last 2 miles completely.  But, I finished in 3 hours and 20 mins and I am Happy with that.

Starting my weight loss and fitness journey 2 years ago with Insanity, gave me the confidence I have today. Back then, I had no support and had to learn to do for me and believe in myself. It's my own journey and there may be ups and downs but I don't stop. Even when I can only do 1 or 2, I keep going because soon, its 5 and then its 15. And then, you cant tell me nothing, lol.  Today, I'm confident in myself and my ability to set goals.

Participating in this half marathon was a great experience and I thoroughly enjoyed those 13 miles. 
The question that I keep getting is.... "When is your next run???"  

My answer... coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment