Monday, October 29, 2012

Oh My Knee!!!

In case you haven't seen me mention it before, I kind of messed up my right knee at 19. It was a very simple injury that left its impression on me for life. I was working at the Chicago Board Options Exchange at the time and needed to get down into the center of the Index Pit. Someone had removed my seat, which had a weighted base. I went up the stairs to get it and carried it back down. Somehow I stepped down wrong and sprained my knee. It was no biggie at the time, I felt a little uncomfortable but it didn't stop me from doing anything.  The pain would leave, only to return when it felt like it, over the years. Problem is that, as I got older, I would feel the pain a little more often than like once every 4-6 months or so.

 
As a result of this, I was sooo nervous during both my pregnancies. I felt that the weight gain would hurt me. Fortunately, the knee pain stayed away completely during the times I was pregnant.  Fast forward to 2012, the nervousness (?) about engaging in certain activities is still present. I'm always hesitant or question my ability to do some things because I don't want to exasperate my knee. Any activity that involves jumping, making quick pivots, or lots of running makes me a little nervous honestly. 

I remember a doctor telling me with exercise, I would get stronger but at the time it seemed that I could probably only get into something low impact.

Here is what has helped me.

1. Exercise. Studies are showing that exercise boosts blood flow to joint tissues and help to repair damage. It also helps to flushout pain-triggering hormones. Studies are also showing that 30 minutes of daily exercise will improve knee flexibility and stimulate the growth of shock absorbing cartilage.

For Me: I am so excited about my improved knee flexibility. After getting thru 3 months of Insanity, I can do many of the exercises I avoided because the jumping would bother my knee.

2.  Olive Oil-- It is said that substituting Olive oil for cooking oils reduces pain because the oil contains a natural anti-inflammatory that stops immune cells from attacking kneww cartilage.

For Me- I have been using Olive Oil more often. I can't say persay that it has been a life saver but I am Not experiencing the pain that I did a year ago.

3.  Drink Tea- Antioxidants help to shield the joints from free radicals.

For Me-  I'm a tea drinker so this was not hard for me to incorporate.

If you have any tips on how to keep healthy and flexible knees let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment